Thursday, February 21, 2008

Four: I Put on the Act

I figured if I was ever to have a chance at my version of affluence, I would have to play "dumb" for a while - that is to say, I would have to be a cuddly kitty in order to make any advances in my master plot.

So play dumb I did, and I readily ate out of Sea Eyes' hand despite instinctual red flags. She seemed quite elated at this, and the next day she tried to stroke the top of my head. I simply must confess that this is the route most animal control dolts take down the back of the head and towards the throat to slide some infernal object of restraint around one's neck. I even surprised myself by reacting on such a small scale as a simple hair-raise. Sea Eyes seemed on the verge of spontaneous combustion, so great was her excitement at this point.

But me being a cat, there is a low to zero tolerance for spontaneous combustion due to emotional overload. I cut short our meeting for the day. I could only imagine how much Sea Eyes would pick up the pace with bringing our affiliation to the next level in lieu of this novel development. By now I reasoned that level-ups were a good thing, so what did I care? The faster to my fantasy, the better.

Little did I know (and that doesn't happen very often), I would come to regret letting this escalate, because of some various human practices. But that story is for another day.

No comments: