Tuesday, February 12, 2008

One: A New Face

I am most definitely and assuredly NOT a people cat. Unfortunately for me, little girls are almost always kitty people. Usually when most girls bring a cat home, their sensible parents don't let them keep it. However, some little girls have rich, doting parents, who care about nothing except their "little angel"'s instant gratification. It's pathetic, really. Parents who let their kids walk all over them let the kids become completly dependent on the parent at the same time. If every human had half the sense cats do, the world would be so much better for me - but they're not. This is the manner in which my freedom met its demise.

Dang. I missed my chance to make my rounds around the neighborhood, searching for scraps before the garbage men made theirs. I'd have to get close to humans if I wanted to eat that day. After a long time of searching and dodging stupid pint-sized girls, I spotted a discarded can of tuna fish and mayo...up a couple of levels on the fire escape. It's a good thing I know how to jump and climb up ladders. Yum. It was worth the effort. You have to enjoy those moments, because it's not every day a cat like me gets a meal like that. But I guess that tricksy tuna must have impaired my judgement, because I decided to take a bit of a nap after that big climb. Little did my tuna-drugged self know at the time that I chose to nap right under the windowsill of a bedroom window, to be later occupied. I guess you never really can have your cake and eat it too.

When I woke up, I was staring into the eyes of...another girl. A teenager, but a girl nonetheless. She did nothing. I stood stock-still, tensing for the runaway leap, but the girl made mo move to grab me. Interesting. Homosapiens typically have this annoying misconception that small animals love to be held and cuddled until the point of strangulation. I walked away, wary of this too-good-to-be-true encounter.

The next day, I found another can in the same spot. Too tempting to resist, I indulged. And so began the relationship between me and a human, of all things. Who knows - maybe I'm a people cat after all.

No comments: